Main Article Content
Functional foods are intended for a systematic daily consumption and have a regulating effect on physiological functions, biochemical reactions and psychosocial behavior due to the normalization of microecological status.
Objective of the study — improving the efficiency of complex treatment of patients with metabolic syndrome by the use of dietary supplements BioSESS.
Materials and Methods. 26 patients with metabolic syndrome (I stage obesity, arterial hypertension, lipid disorders, impaired glucose tolerance) were examined. BioSЕSS was administered for 4 capsules 2 times a day during 10 days, in 20 days after completion of the first course the second one was administered in a similar way. Comparison group consisted of 14 patients with metabolic syndrome, who hadn’t receive BioSESS in complex treatment.
Results of the Study. Significant and statistically reliable decrease of insulin resistance in peripheral tissues was noted. НОМА-IR index decreased significantly — from 6.58 ± 0.92 to 3.44 ± 0.86. There is observed significant reduction in total cholesterol content by 13.1 % from initial data — 6.18 ± 0.24 mmol/l to 5.46 ± 0.22 mmol/l (р < 0.05), very low density lipoproteins — by 36.2 %, from 0.79 ± 0.07 mmol/l to 0.58 ± 0.06 mmol/l (р < 0.05), low density lipoproteins — by 5.9 %, from 3.98 ± 0.16 mmol/l to 3.56 ±
± 0.18 mmol/l (p < 0.05), triglycerides — by 37.2 %, from 1.77 ±
± 0.19 mmol/l to 1.29 ± 0.14 mmol/l (р < 0.05). The combined therapy assisted more significant decrease in C-reactive protein (СRP) level (from 6.91± 0.66 mg/dl to 4.83 ± 0.58 mg/dl) compared to control group (by 31.2 and 23.1 %, respectively, p < 0.05).
Conclusions. Application of BioSESS in complex therapy of patients with metabolic syndrome for certain improves the indexes of lipid metabolism, reduces hyperinsulinemia and concomitant insulin resistance. The use of BioSESS in complex therapy of patients with metabolic syndrome promotes the decline of blood pressure level in day time, improvement of diastolic function of myocardium. In patients with metabolic syndrome BioSESS has useful pleiotropic effects that are manifested in the significant decrease of CRP levels in the blood by 31.2 % (p < 0.05).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
Технологія продуктів харчування функціонального призначення: Монографія / М.І. Пересічний, М.Ф. Кравченко, Д.В. Федорова та ін. / За ред. М.І. Пересічного. — К.: Національний торг.-екон. ун-т, 2008. — 718 с.
Шипилов В.Н. — Институт эволюционной физиологии и биохимии им. И. Сеченова РАН, 2004.
Capaldo B. Cardiovascular characteristics in subjects with increasing levels of abnormal glucose regulation: The Strong Heart Study / B. Capaldo, P. Di Bonito, M. Iaccarino [et al.] // Diabetes Care. — 2013. — Vol. 36. — P.992-997.
Мітченко О.І., Лутай М.І. Дисліпідемії: діагностика, профілактика та лікування: Методичні рекомендації Асоціації кардіологів України. — 2011.