Main Article Content
Objective of the study — an estimation of efficiency of application and tolerability of new alpha-glucosidase inhibitor voglibose (Voxid) in the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). Material and Methods. We have examined 20 patients with type 2 DM aged from 32 to 65 years, who did not have satisfactory glycemic control during previous treatment. Before the beginning of research and during all supervision they received previous hypoglycemic therapy (metformin and glimepiride). The total duration of patients’ participation in the study was 3 months and included four visits: an initial visit, the first and second months — interim visits; 3 months later — the final visit. HbА1c was measured during the first and last visits. Patients with type 2 DM were additionally administered voglibose (Voxid, produced by LLC «Kusum Pharm», Ukraine) at a dose of 0.2 mg before breakfast, lunch and dinner for three months as a part of combination oral hypoglycemic therapy. Results. After 3 months of voglibose application, fasting glucose content decreased by 1.8 mmol/l and was 7.4 ± 0.3 mmol/l. During the fourth visit, the level of postprandial blood glucose against combined therapy with the addition of Voxid significantly decreased by 2.6 mmol/l, НbA1c — by 1.2 %. There was a trend to a decrease in body mass index in surveyed patients (by 1.1 kg/m2), but it did not reach statistical significance. The positive clinical effect of the drug in ours study was achieved at an average of 0.75 mg Voxid a day. Treatment with Voxid was safe for patients and well tolerated. Conclusions. Application of Voxid (voglibose) in combination therapy of type 2 DM for three months resulted in a statistically significant improvement in the main indicators of metabolism and insulin resistance reduction.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
Паньків В.І. Інгібітор альфа-глюкозидази воглібоз: нові можливості лікування і профілактики цукрового діабету // Міжнародний ендокринологічний журнал. — 2013. — № 7(55). — С. 35-38.
Kumar R.V., Sinha V.R. Newer insights into the drug delivery approaches of α-glucosidase inhibitors // Expert. Opin. Drug. Deliv. — 2012. — Vol. 9(4). — P. 403-416.
Takami K., Takeda N., Nakashima K. et al. Effects of dietary treatment alone or diet with voglibose or glyburide on abdominal adipose tissue and metabolic abnormalities in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. // Diabetes Care. — 2002. — Vol. 25(4). — P. 658-662.
Matsumoto K., Yano M., Miyake S. et al. Effects of voglibose on glycemic excursions, insulin secretion, and insulin sensitivity in non-insulin-treated NIDDM patients // Diabetes Care. — 1998. — 21(2) Feb. — 256-60.
Chen X., Zheng Y., Shen Y. Voglibose (Basen, AO-128), one of the most important alpha-glucosidase inhibitors // Curr. Med. Chem. — 2006. — 13(1). — 109-16.