Main Article Content
The article presents the data on the effect of metformin monotherapy and combination therapy with metformin and addition of folate on the levels of homocysteine and folic acid in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Monotherapy has lead to a reduction of insulin resistance, HOMA index, moderate antiandrogen effect, had a positive effect on lipid levels, while level of folic acid remained low, and the concentration of homocysteine in the blood serum increased by 18.3 %. Combination therapy didn’t increase the therapeutic effect on carbohydrate metabolism and hormonal parameters, but lead to an increase in folate content by 12.4 % and reduced the levels of homocysteine by 14.3 % in comparison with baseline ones.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
Caserta D, Adducchio G, Picchia S, et al. Gynecol Endocrinol 2014; 30(6): 347-402.
Diamanti-Kandarakis Е, Dunaif А. Endocrin Rev 2012; 33 (6): 981-1030.
Marshall JC, Dunaif A. Fertil Steril 2012; 97(1): 18-22.
Bertoldo M, Faure M, Dupont J, Froment P. Ann Transl Med 2014; 2(6): 1-33.
Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Economou F, Palimeri S, Christakou C. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2010; 1205: 192-198.
Simmons D. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 24(4): 625-634.
Palomba S, Falbo A, Russo T, Orio F. Hum Reprod 2010; 25(4): 1005-1013.
Tang T, Lord JM, Norman RJ et al. Cochrane Library 2012; 5: CD003053.
Viollet B, Guigas B, Sanz Garcia N, et al. Clin Sci (Lond) 2012; 122(6): 253-270.
Manzor-al-ajdad O, Samani EN, Abadi A. Int J Fertil and Sterilly 2011; 4(4): 168-171.
Calle de la M, Gallardo T, Diestro MD, et al. Clinical Medicine 2007; 129(8): 292-294.
Rekha S, Palet ML, Pooja G, et al. Intern J Medicine and Medical Sciences 2013; 5(3): 116-123.
McCarty MF. Med Hypoth 2000; 55: 289-293.
Wijeyaratne CN, Nirantharakumar K, Balen AH, et al. Clinical Endocrinol 2004; 60(5): 560-567.
Kilicdag EB, Bagis T, Zeyneloglu HB, et al. Hum Reprod 2005; 20(4): 894-899.
Liu Q, Li S, Quan H, Li J. PLoS One 2014(6): e100379.
Pietrzik K, Bailey L, Shane B. Clin Pharmacokinet 2010; 49(8): 535-548.
Crider KS, Yang TP, Berry RJ, et al. Adv Nutr 2012; 3(1): 21-38.
Forges T, Pellanda H, Divigent C, et al. Gynecol Obstet 2008; 36(9): 936-939.
Dubey P, Gupta N, Dwivedi S, et al. Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2013; 2(2): 165-171.
Maluhsevа LI, Fetisova IN, Fetisov NS, Gordiva AV. Medical Forum 2015; 2(1): 52-56.
The Rotterdam ESHRE/ ASRM- sponsored PCOS consensus workshop group. Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteriaand long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Hum Reprod 2004; 19(1): 41-47.
Yilmaz M, Biri A, Bukan N, et al. Gynecol Endocrinol 2005; 20(5): 258-263.
Bruno RV, . de Avila MA, Neves FB. Fertil Steril 2007; 88: 510-512.
Khalil IAM. Austin J Reprod Med Infertil 2015; 2(2): 1013-1017.