Main Article Content
Objective. To assess the efficacy of early treatment with metformin and pioglitazone in type 2 diabetes patients.
Material and methods. Twenty seven patients with decompensated type 2 diabetes mellitus treated with metformin were enrolled into the open-label study. The duration of type 2 diabetes mellitus was 3.6 ± 0.4 years. To achieve glycemic control pioglitazone was added to metformin. Before and after 16-week treatment we evaluated the parameters of carbohydrate and lipid metabolisms, degree of insulin resistance, function of beta-cells, body weight, structural and functional parameters of the heart and heart rhythm.
Results. At 24 weeks, the level of HbA1c decreased by 18.8 % (p < 0.05), fasting glycemia by 34.6 % (p < 0.001), postprandial glycemia by 37.8 % (p < 0.001), HOMA-IR by 57.9 % (p < 0.001). There was no deterioration of beta-cells dysfunction. Combined treatment improved lipid profile and parameters of cardiovascular system.
Conclusion. Early combined treatment with metformin and pioglitazone improved glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetic patients.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
2. Маньковский Б.Н. Сердечно-сосудистые заболевания у больных сахарным диабетом: что важно знать кардиологу, эндокринологу и неврологу / Б.Н. Маньковский, О.Н. Барна // Ліки України. — 2010. — № 4 (140). — С. 24-28.
3. Сахарный диабет 2 типа: скрининг и факторы риска / Кравчун Н.А., Казаков А.В., Караченцев Ю.И. и др. — Харьков: Новое слово, 2010. — 256 с.
4. Шестакова М.В. Сахарный диабет и хроническая болезнь почек / М.В. Шестакова, И.И. Дедов. — М.: МИА, 2009. — 482 с.
5. Наказ МОЗ України від 22.05.2009 р. № 356 «Про затвердження протоколів надання медичної допомоги за спеціальністю «Ендокринологія».
6. Schernthaner G. Is the ADA/EASD algorithm for the management of type 2 diabetes (January 2009) based on evidence or opinion? A critical analysis / G. Schernthaner, A.H. Barnett, D.J. Betteridge et al. // Diabetologia. — 2010. — Vol. 53, № 7. — P. 1258-1269.
7. Type 2 diabetes in practice / Ed. A.J. Krentz, C.J. Bailey. — Royal Society of Medicine Press Ltd., 2007. — 190 p.