Main Article Content
This article presents the key achievements in the field of diabetes mellitus prevention. Currently, various researches have been conducted on the prevention of diabetes mellitus, with different designs, types of intervention, duration of follow-up and mechanisms of action. One of the possible mechanisms is aimed to slow down the rate of the peak prevalence of the diabetes mellitus. The second possibility is concerned the majority of medical interventions conducted, which enable to decrease the rate of impaired glucose tolerance in manifestation of diabetes mellitus. The third preventive model consists in a strong stabilization of glucose tolerance. After detection of pre-conditions, which result in diabetes mellitus, preventive methods should be tested for 10–12 years, while beta cells are functionally active.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, Knowler WC, Fowler SE, et al. 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. Lancet. 2009 Nov 14;374(9702):1677-86. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61457-4.
DREAM (Diabetes REduction Assessment with ramipril and rosiglitazone Medication) Trial Investigators, Gerstein HC, Yusuf S, et al. Effect of rosiglitazone on the frequency of diabetes inpatients with impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2006 Sep 23;368(9541):1096-105. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69420-8.
Knowler WC, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler SE, et al. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med. 2002 Feb 7;346(6):393-403. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa012512.
Lindström J, Ilanne-Parikka P, Peltonen M, et al. Sustained reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes by lifestyle intervention: follow-up of the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study. Lancet. 2006 Nov 11;368(9548):1673-9. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69701-8.
Li G, Zhang P, Wang J, et al. The long-term effect of lifestyle interventions to prevent diabetes in the China Da Qing Diatetes Prevention Study: a20-year follow-up study. Lancet. 2008 May 24;371(9626):1783-9. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60766-7.
NAVIGATOR Study Group, Holmann RR, Haffner SM, et al. Effect of nateglinide on the incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med. 2010 Apr 22;362(16):1463-76. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1001122.
prevention of type 2 diabetes in obese patients. Diabetes Care. 2004 Jan;27(1):155-61.
Tuomilehto J, Lindström J, Eriksson JG, et al. Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med. 2001 May 3;344(18):1343-50. doi: 10.1056/NEJM200105033441801.